Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Training: Like A Girl



I just finished my first workout with Liz, one of our very talented Parisi Speed School interns. Liz is creating a brand new program for young female athletes who want to change the way the world looks at the phrase "LIKE A GIRL!" The goal of this program is to incorporate strength training, flexibility, nutrition and education so that girls of all ages and levels can excel at their sport.

When I started my Lyme treatment with Dr. Molly at the Cherry Hill Clinic, I knew I was on my way to recovery. I had completely changed my diet and gone Gluten-free, Sugar-free and Dairy-free; I was finally under the care of a doctor who could treat my symptoms naturally and the only element left to tackle was fitness. When Liz and I discussed how to market her Like A Girl program I knew it was the missing element of my Lyme fight strategy!

We met today to review the program and she ran me through my first workout. It's been months since I've done any sort of exercise, and years since I've done any sort of training interval, so needless to say I was very nervous. But Liz kept me motivated the entire time, helping to correct my form and pushed me to my healthy limit. At times I was very disappointed with my performance and other times I saw that muscle really does have memory.

I walked down the long hallway at CHHRC after the workout with jello-like legs and a smile on my face with the satisfaction of having my first workout under my belt and being one step closer to winning my Lyme fight!

Stay tuned for details of the dreaded (two-day) post workout aches and pains and a peak into my next workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment