Wednesday, July 15, 2015

My Race to Beat Lyme Disease!


Three weeks into my Train Like A Girl program and I'm feeling really good! I had a bit of a roller coaster week with my energy and I even attempted to go for my first run (attempted - being the key word). I live just a few houses away from a trail that I used to run daily (pre-Lyme). Since my diagnosis I've attempted a few times to jog just a fraction of the trail, with varied results each time. This time I made it from my driveway to the beginning of the trail and was exhausted. You know you're off when your five pound chihuahua is pulling you to go faster!




Yesterday, during my workout Liz was asking about my energy level. When I told her about my pathetic attempt at a run, she encouraged me to keep trying and reminded me that walking is still a great option - along with bike riding. I think that'll be next. The kids are excited to have mom "back" and our family bike rides are something they've been looking forward to again!

Liz tortured me with more leg workouts and crazy medicine ball drills to engage my core. Just when I think I know what to expect, she switches things up on me! I'm definitely starting to see some definition coming back and my clothes are starting to feel the way they're supposed to! 

Like many girls, I've always struggled with my body image, obsessing over sizes, pounds, body fat percentages . . .  but there's something about this TRAIN LIKE A GIRL program that has changed me. We never focus on what the scale says, we never measured my waist to see if it's getting any smaller - it's just all about feeling strong. As a mom of four I need strength just to get through the day! And even on those days, when I feel emotionally weak and think I should just take the day off from training, I feel stronger and confident that no matter what life throws at me, I can beat it. Whether it's kids fighting in the car during the 45 minute ride home or the dirty clothes that are literally over-flowing in the laundry room,  I know I have the strength to tackle them (and with four kids, sometimes that's what it takes)!

Tomorrow I go for my Lyme Juice with Dr. Molly at the Cherry Hill Clinic. Thursdays are now my favorite day of the week, because I know that after my treatment I will be even more energized! In my future, I see a little chihuahua struggling to keep up with me, as I RUN past my kids on their bikes!

1 comment: